Wednesday 4 April 2012

If I meet him I will.......



How many times have we uttered those words, "If I meet him I will inform him of this-and-that, or I'll give him a piece of my mind or I'll tell him how it really works.
Well I have, on may occasions! and there I was sitting in, the official residence of the  President of South Africa His Excellency Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma, or as he is known in the circles JZ!
Pinching myself and looking astonishingly at everybody standing around having a few drinks and even Klippies, because you see people from all backgrounds have been invited, and I was thinking "How did I end up here?", "Am I dressed properly?", and "Is this really Bra Cyril (Ramaphosa) having such an interesting discussion with me!?
It all started with a sms, "Send me you ID No", that was it short and sweet. Knowing "D" (lets protect the privacy) I realised something was happening, I phoned and he said that I would get my chance to tell the President how I feel, since I always have so much to say.
Three weeks passed and I totally forgot about the conversation, when I received a sms stating that my vetting is completed and I am welcome to join the President at his official residence for dinner!, no gilded envelope, no smart delivery of the invitation just a sms! I phoned D and he assured me that this is not a joke and we have to be there at said time and date, with the warning that it is the President so don't be late.
And here I was rubbing shoulders with the rich, famous and powerful as the President came into the room. Having drinks and greeting every person personally, his charisma immediately became apparent, as he spoke to me you could almost say that at that moment you where the most important person to him. Then came the inevitable speech, now, I have listened to many parliamentary speeches and knew that this was not his strong point, however, that evening he spoke without a piece of paper and to say the least is was brilliant! (maybe he must speak more from the heart and less from the paper!)
Now at home I eat with my old T-shirts, for the obvious reason, my fork is too big and my mouth is too small, so here I was in a bit of a predicament, the rule is (according to my wife), stay away from  the sloppy stuff, no sauce and for the love of all PUT DOWN YOUR CUTLERY AFTER EACH BITE! So in the line to dish, Oxtail Stew, check, no chicken, cream spinach, check, roast potatoes, check, rice, check, sweetened baby carrots, check and thick brown gravy, check! 
Most of the people at my table were men, and it seems most of us had the same speech before hand, and as good men do, we forgot it promptly. Person across from me started with a big smudge of brown gravy on his R 3000.00 shirt, person next to me followed suit with a blotch of food on his lap, person to the left had his cuff in his plate, that left a few brave men standing, I was next to fall victim to the gravy, but the food was excellent!
After dinner we looked liked a group of business men who came out of a food fight and the conversation started, photos were taken and I had my chance to ask a question.
Here goes it, "Mr President why is it that the ruling party allows certain individuals to put our political stability  into disrepute by making outrages comments (guess who, yes Bra Ju-Ju), and the reply, "We are built on freedom of speech, however, we must always remember that that freedom comes with responsibility and if we misuse that we must bear the consequences". 
Well here I am a year after that incident and it seems as if he was right! 
Driving home that evening I had so many other questions, but I felt great, meeting the President was great, no matter who he is or what his political background is, it was still an honour. I can understand how people are swept into a frenzy when he speaks at a rally, more things make sense, and I read the newspaper with more attention to detail.

Well till next time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment